Facts About Hunger
- 1 in 6 Americans, or 49,000,000, suffer from food insecurity (sometimes or often having to go hungry, eat less or eat less nutritious meals because the family can’t afford otherwise). Hunger is not relegated to the unemployed. 36% of client households served by the Feeding America® network have one or more adults working.
- Even educated people struggle with issues of hunger. In fact, in the 2010 Hunger Study 23% of respondents had graduated from or attended a college or technical school.
- 15.5% of rural households are food insecure.
- 34% of all households served by Feeding America® have had to choose between paying for food and paying for medicine or medical care.
- 1 in 5 American children, or 16,000,000, live in food insecure homes.
- The lack of adequate nutrition affects children’s physical, behavioral and cognitive development.