Happy New Year! Happy 2013!
As the team here at True Citrus is reflecting upon 2012, we’re also thinking about what changes we want to make in 2013. And instead of making the same old New Year’s resolutions year after year (which some of us tend to break before the end of the first month anyway), we’re making some Better Life resolutions.
While traditional New Year’s resolutions are often about the outer us, this year we’re trying some New Year resolutions that focus on the inner us. While we obviously practice these already (since we are a pretty nice group of people!), in 2013 we want to do a better job of embracing and practicing our list below because we think that they can make a big difference not only in our own personal lives, but also to those around us. Here are our Better Life Resolutions:
1. We’re eating breakfast. Whether it’s a lack of appetite or the result of a hectic schedule, we sometimes skip the most important meal of the day. But we know that it’s true – eating breakfast helps our brain and our metabolism. Therefore, we’re not allowing ourselves any excuses about not eating breakfast. We’re fueling up every morning for a productive day!
2. We’re practicing kindness more. We’re not going to underestimate the power of a simple gesture – a smile, a held door, a touch on the shoulder, a call to someone who is having a hard time – to change a day and even a life.
3. We’re giving compliments more often. We’re telling our mom and dad how much we appreciate them, we’re telling our co-workers what a good job they did, we’re telling our children how much we like their painting, and we’re telling our significant other thanks for the great dinner. Whatever the reason, we’re taking the time to recognize those around us because the truth is that one of the greatest human needs is to feel appreciated.
4. We’re getting better at saying no. We don’t have to be super women (or super men). We don’t have to do everything for everybody. It’s actually important to set boundaries for ourselves. And while this may be particularly hard for us women, we’re going to try to do this without any guilt!
5. We’re getting better at finding a balance. We tried in 2012 and, while we made some progress, we’re going to get even better at this big challenge in 2013. Our families and social life are just as important as our work life, so we’re going to try to recognize that we need to make quality time for both.
6. And with that, we’re going to try to keep our focus in the moment. It’s so easy to think about all we have to do at home when we’re at work and all we have to do at work when we’re at home. However, we’re going to try to remind ourselves to focus on the present. The to-do list isn’t going anywhere whether we’re focusing on the moment or not.
7. We’re reading more. Expanding our horizons, improving our memory, using our imagination. The power of reading!
8. We’re smiling. A genuine smile can brighten any room. And besides increasing happiness, smiling can relieve stress (it’s true according to a study from the University of Kansas!), boost confidence, and even make us look younger!
What are your 2013 Better Life Resolutions?