What if you could instantly boost your immunity, lose excess weight, combat diseases and increase your daily energy? The good news is you can–and you can simply by choosing to eat the right kinds of food. Below is a list of 11 Superfoods, low in calories, high in nutrients, and packed with amazing health benefits, so read on and load up on these valuable eats, you won’t regret it!
1. Blueberries: These sweet and tasty berries are more miraculous than most people know. Calorically low and brimming with fiber and phytochemicals, blueberries possess anti-aging qualities, and can help combat heart disease, cancer and diabetes (among other serious diseases). Eat them all day long!
2. Almonds: These nuts are super rich in healthy fats, helping to lower bad cholesterol, protect your arteries from damage, strengthen your bones, and aid in weight loss. Munch some almonds between meals and you’ll have no problem staying fuller longer.
3. Salmon: This deliciously lean source of protein contains a healthy dose of vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids, directly benefiting your heart, your brain, your eyes, your joints and even helping you to sleep better. Salmon has even been linked to reducing your risk of heart disease, type-1 diabetes, and multiple sclerosis, so make a point of eating salmon a few times per week.
4. Oats: Extremely rich in fiber, and packed with healthy, metabolism-boosting carbs—a single serving of oats will keep you full and energized throughout the extent of your day. Oats also help control blood pressure, reduce bad cholesterol, and improve immune system defenses. Try eating oats in the morning for a super energized day.
5. Lentils: A wonderful source of minerals (iron, magnesium and zinc) and resistant starch, which boosts the metabolism and burns excess fat. Lentils are chock-full of protein and soluble fiber, keeping your heart healthy and your digestive system running well. They can be spiced in various ways to make a delicious meal for lunch or dinner.
6. Leafy Greens: Swiss chard, kale, spinach, and dandelion greens are highly beneficial to your whole health, as they are some of the most nutrient-packed foods you can possibly put in your body. Loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytochemicals, leafy greens help everything from your eyesight to your bone health, so add them in to any and every snack or meal throughout the day.
7. Avocado: This deliciously creamy fruit is chock full of fiber, protein, vitamin E, oleic acid, and the good kind of fat. Avocados help reduce excess belly fat and keep you full for long periods of time. Smear avocado on toast or add a slice to an omelet or sandwich for a significant energy boost.
8. Brown Rice: This hearty, fiber-rich grain is low in calories yet incredibly dense and filling. Brown rice contains resistant starch, a healthy carbohydrate known for burning excess fat and boosting the metabolism. Try swapping in brown rice for pasta or bread, and you’ll immediately feel (and see!) the difference in your waistline.
9. Dark Chocolate: Loaded with antioxidants and flavonoids, a bit of dark chocolate here and there will help to satisfy your sweet tooth, lessen your risk of a stroke, reduce your blood pressure, and elevate your mood. Research also shows that dark chocolate, full of healthy fat, can actually help burn calories and rev-up your metabolism. Look for dairy-free and over 70% cocoa for the healthiest choice of chocolate.
10. Broccoli: Research suggests that all cruciferous veggies (kale, bok choy, cauliflower, brussels sprouts) have the power to reduce your risk of cancer by inhibiting the growth of certain cells. Broccoli, calorically low and packed with filling fiber, is a great veggie to incorporate into your diet.
11. Citrus: Grapefruits and lemons provide unparalleled health benefits – they are loaded with flavonoids, anti-cancer and antioxidant properties, and are excellent sources of vitamin-C, which is vital to a healthy immune system. Citrus fruits stimulate your digestion, aid in weight loss, and help to balance your body’s pH. Try eating citrus first thing in the morning, or simply add a packet of crystallized True Lemon or True Grapefruit to a cup of water for all of the health benefits of these incredible superfoods.
Try integrating a few of the these amazing superfoods into your daily diet and see if you can feel a difference in your weight and overall well-being. Which of the above foods is your favorite? Let us know!
[Credit: “11 Foods You Should Eat Now for a Smarter, More Productive You.” Fast Company.]
[Credit: Klein, Sarah “Best Superfoods for Weight Loss” Health.]