Easy, delicious, and good for you. What more could you ask?
1-1/2 to 2 pounds of tilapia (US farm raised if possible)
2 tablespoons True Lime, Garlic & Cilantro spice blend
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped with seeds removed
8 packets True Lime + 1/2 cup water
Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
1 to 2 chopped firm ripe tomatoes (optional)
Fresh dill, as garnish (optional)
- In a deep medium glass or ceramic bowl combine all the ingredients except the fish and optional tomatoes.
- Arrange each piece of fish in the marinade, coating each piece well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour, turning fish occasionally.
- After an hour, drain off marinade, saving it to baste the fish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange fish fillets in baking dish, and baste fish generously with marinade. Top with tomatoes if using.
- Cover baking dish loosely with tin foil and bake fish for 20 to 25 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork and is opaque. Baste fish occasionally while baking.
- Garnish with fresh dill, if desired.
Tilapia is a mild fish that flavors adhere to well. Health benefits include low calories (145 calories per 4 ounce serving), high protein (29.5 grams), 30% of your daily Vitamin B12 needs, and 30% of your niacin needs. Further, tilapia is a sustainable fish which is great when you consider so many of our most popular fish are endangered now because of over-fishing. When buying tilapia try to buy U.S. farm-raised where standards are high. A good alternative to U.S. farmed is tilapia from Central and South America. Try to avoid buying from China or Twaiin where standards are not rigourously enforced.