This signature French sweet makes for a wonderful and decadent dessert.
For the clafoutis:
1/2 stick butter
2/3 cup raw sugar
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup half and half
3 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 dash ground cardamom
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 packet of True Orange
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the topping (optional):
8 ounces sour cream
2 packets of True Lemon or True Orange (or one of each)
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and butter a large cast iron skillet.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, except for half of the sugar and the berries.
- Put skillet on the stove over medium-low heat, and warm to melt the butter. Pour in half of the egg mixture, and leave for a few minutes until it’s just beginning to set.
- Meanwhile, gently mix the berries with the remaining sugar in a small bowl. Add to the skillet carefully, letting them “float” on the top. Spread evenly across.
- Place entire skillet in the oven, and let cook for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare topping by mixing together the sour cream, True Lemon and/or True Orange, and 1/4 cup of the powdered sugar. Reserve the remaining 1/4 cup for dusting.
- Remove clafoutis from oven, making sure that the middle is firm but not rubbery.
- Let cool, and dust with powdered sugar if desired. Slice into pie wedges, and serve with a side of the sour cream topping!
Don’t have a cast iron skillet? That’s okay! Just butter a round baking or pie dish, and bake in the oven. Remember to partially bake the filling (about 5-10 minutes), then remove to add the berries so that they will “float” and not sink to the bottom.