This easy-to-follow recipe is a lovely finish to any meal. Seasonal fresh blueberries are best, and complimented beautifully with the bright flavor of orange.
For the cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
5 packets True Orange
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk
4 cups pastry or all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 pint fresh blueberries, or 2 cups frozen blueberries (rinsed and drained)
For the crumb crust:
2/3 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
3 packets True Orange
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with whisk. Set aside.
3. In a mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and True Orange until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended. With mixer on low, add 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by 1/2 of the buttermilk, 1/3 of the flour, the remaining buttermilk and then the remaining flour mixing just until incorporated.
5. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the blueberries and pour mixture into the prepared pan.
6. Add all crumb ingredients to a bowl and mash with fork or pastry cutter until small crumb forms. Sprinkle mixture over prepared cake and place in oven.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Submitted By Jennifer Huey.