A traditional yeast bread that makes a fun and delicious Easter centerpiece. Serve warm or cold.
For the bread:
1 package active dry yeast
3 cups bread flour
1/2 cup lukewarm water
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
6 packets of True Lemon dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 whole uncooked eggs, plain or dyed
For the frosting (optional):
6 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
1 packet True Lemon
Sprinkles or nonpareils, for decorating
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add remaining water and 1 cup flour. Mix in yeast until well blended and smooth. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a towel and place in a warm place to rise, 1-2 hours. This mixture should double in size.
- In another medium bowl, cream butter. Gradually add sugar and beat until light.
- Add True Lemon juice and salt, then add egg. Add raised yeast mixture and mix well until combined.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of flour. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead to form a soft non-sticky dough. Shape into a ball.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size again, about 2 hours.
- Punch down the dough with your fist. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a long cylinder about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Loosely twist two pieces of dough together to form a loose braid. Form the braid into a ring shape and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Place uncooked eggs into spaces in braid. Cover with plastic wrap and towel and let rise until doubled in a warm spot, about 40 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and towel.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and cool bread on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, if frosting is desired as a topping, whisk together all of those ingredients until smooth. Drizzle on top and add colorful sprinkles!