A yummy ring cake with good-for-you olive oil instead of butter and a healthy crunch from carrots and nuts. Recipe adapted from epicurious.com.
For the cake:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup olive oil
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups grated carrots (about 3 large)
3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
For the icing (optional):
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 3-ounce package cream cheese
2 packets True Lemon dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup (or more) whipping cream
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Butter a 12-cup nonstick bundt pan.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl until well blended.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar, oil, and eggs in large bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add flour mixture, beating just until blended.
- Gently fold in carrots and walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack for 1 hour.
- Invert cake onto plate. Let cool completely.
- For the icing (optional steps), blend sugar, cream cheese, True Lemon juice, and vanilla in processor, using on/off turns.
- Blend in enough cream to form thick but pour-able icing. Drizzle icing over top of cake, allowing icing to flow down sides. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
If you decide to omit the icing, another option is to gently mix 1 packet of True Lemon with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar. Lightly sprinkle the topping over the cake once it’s cooled, and enjoy!