Savory chicken and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon. Yum! Recipe courtesy of Diane Henderiks, RD / Dietitian-in-the-Kitchen.
1 cup teriyaki (if making gluten-free, check ingredient list)
1 cup sake
1 cup low sodium soy sauce (if making gluten-free, choose tamari)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoons ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon from True Lime Shaker (or 2 packets of True Lime)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast; cut into 1 inch cubes (you can also use chicken thighs, or legs)
1 pound bacon (cut package in half crosswise)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl whisk first 8 ingredients together (teriyaki through True Lime). Pour into gallon-sized zip top bag.
- Place chicken cubes in bag with marinade, zip bag and turn to combine.
- Place in refrigerator and let marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Assemble Rumaki as follows:
– place half strip of bacon on work surface
– place water chestnut in center
– top with chicken cube
– wrap bacon around and secure with toothpick
- Place on baking sheet and cook until bacon is browned.
- Leave toothpick in and serve warm. Enjoy!
Don’t have any chicken on hand, or looking for a short cut? Make this recipe without the chicken – it’s still delicious!