Easy to make, delicious, and light. Excellent to pair with a simple turkey sandwich, or side salad.
4 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only); cleaned and thinly sliced
2 teaspoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon butter
2 1/2 pounds asparagus; trimmed & sliced
2 quarts vegetable stock
4 medium potatoes; peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1/2 teaspoon True Lemon (2 packets)
1 teaspoon salt
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional, as garnish)
- In a large soup pot, saute the leek, shallots, and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add the asparagus stems, stock, and potatoes. Simmer until the asparagus and potatoes are tender – about 30 minutes
- Puree the soup with a high powered blender or immersion blender. Strain the soup through a fine mesh sieve to remove the asparagus fibers.
- Stir in the evaporated skim milk, True Lemon, and salt.
- Garnish each serving with a Parmesan crisp.*
*For crisps, grate Parmigiano Reggiano, using a third cup grated for every crisp you want to make. Heat a non-stick pan to medium or slightly higher. No oil is needed. Sprinkle Parmigiano evenly over the pan and melt for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese browns a little. When melted and slightly brown, remove to a paper towel to cool.