This creamy dessert is popular in warmer regions. It’s light but beautifully rich, and a wonderful finish to any meal.
Single-serving flan pans, or 1 large flan mold
2 cups of milk
4 eggs at room temperature, beaten
7 tablespoons sugar + 5 tablespoons sugar (for the syrup)
1 stick cinnamon
1 packet True Lemon
- Bring milk, 7 tablespoons of sugar, cinnamon stick, and packet of True Lemon to boil. Cook for 10 minutes over low heat, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Take out the cinnamon stick. Add the beaten eggs to the cooled milk. Mix well.
- While the milk is cooling, prepare the burnt-sugar syrup. Add 5 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon water to saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes until it turns a golden brown color. Coat the bottoms of the flan pans (or large flan mold) with the caramelized sugar.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the flan pans. Set the molds inside another pan, the outside surrounded with some water.
- Bake in the oven for an hour at 350 degrees. The flan is done when pierced with a toothpick, it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Turn pan upside down to un-mold. Serve cooled.
Adapted from Mediterranean Food Recipes.com.