Calling all lemon lovers! Grandma’s special touch makes this the best pie you will ever taste.
For the pie:
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
4 packets True Lemon, mixed with 1 3/4 cups water
3 egg yolks
1 pre-baked pie crust (8 or 9 inches), gluten-free optional
For the meringue:
3 egg whites
1 pinch cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, and True Lemon with water. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Place in double boiler and slowly cook until mixture starts to thicken. While mixture is cooking, beat egg yolks in a separate medium bowl.
- Pour 1/2 cup of warmed mixture into egg yolks and add everything into the double boiler. Cook for 3 more minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then pour into pre-baked pie shell. Set aside.
- For the meringue: whip egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time until all sugar is added. Add in vanilla flavoring and gently beat to combine.
- Spread meringue on pie and bake at 325 degrees until golden brown.
Submitted By Linda Frye.