A down-home dessert with summertime fruits. Serve with a dollop of vanilla yogurt mixed with True Lemon for an added treat!
2 1/2 cups peach slices, thawed if frozen
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar
3 packets of True Lemon dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine first 5 ingredients and 2/3 cup sugar in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring gently. Boil for about 1 minute, then stir in True Lemon water.
- Pour filling into a 9 inch square baking pan. Cover to keep hot.
- Combine 3 tablespoons sugar, flour, and next 4 ingredients in a food processor or bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then stir in buttermilk until just blended.
- Transfer to a work surface and knead gently until mixture just holds together, and drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto berry filling.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until topping is golden and filling is bubbly.