Lemon adds a touch of tart to these barely sweetened cakes. Excellent for brunch or served with tea! Recipe submitted by Eileen Hays.
2 1/4 cups self-rising flour (use all-purpose gluten-free flour, if desired)
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup sugar, or honey
2/3 cup mixed dried fruit
1 tablespoon milk
1 packet True Lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and butter. Use your fingertips to break up the butter into pieces, mixing until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar (or honey) and dried fruit, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg, milk, and True Lemon.
- Gently add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir into a stiff dough. Spoon mixture into small rocky-shaped piles onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-minutes, until the cakes are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove cakes from baking sheet, and let cool on a wire rack.