Lemon brings out the rich flavors of the broth and sour cream in this deliciously satisfying version of mashed potatoes! This recipe makes about 2-3 servings, and was submitted by Meredith Leonard.
3 large potatoes
2/3 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly chopped herbs (thyme, chives, sage, and/or parsley)
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 packets True Lemon
- Peel potatoes and cut them into large 1-inch pieces. Place them in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pricked with a fork, about 20 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain, and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Bring the stock to a boil in the same pot the potatoes were in, and turn down to a simmer.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a hand mixer*.
- Slowly add the hot stock until desired consistency is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in the sour cream, herbs, and True Lemon. Serve, and enjoy!
For added nutrition value and texture, leave the potato skins on!
*If using a hand mixer for this recipe, be sure to not over-mix. If potatoes are mixed for too long they release their starches, which causes them to become sticky and gummy.