The combination of carrots and orange is absolutely mouth watering! You’ll love sneaking in the little bit of added nutrition to this delicious treat. Recipe submitted by: Debra Entler.
1 1/2 cups shortening
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 packets True Orange
2 cups finely shredded carrots
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
For the glaze (optional):
1 cup confectioners sugar
6 tablespoons water
12 packets True Orange
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla, True Orange, and carrots.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl, and gradually stir into the creamed mixture.
- Finally, fold in the walnuts. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly golden. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze (optional), put 1 cup of the confectioners sugar into a medium bowl, along with True Orange and water. If too thin, add more sugar – if too thick, add more water. Gently drizzle onto the cooled cookies.
You can easily omit making the glaze for these cookies, to cut back on the sugar content!