Too bad St. Patrick’s Day only comes around once a year, because this dessert is sure to be a year-round favorite! Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
2 packets of True Lime
2 cups whipped topping
2 to 3 drops green food coloring
20 green candied cherries
8 teaspoons from True Lime Shaker (or 16 packets of True Lime) dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the vanilla, salt, cream of tartar, and True Lime, then beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time on high until stiff peaks form.
- Using a pastry bag with a star tip, squeeze 2-inch drops of the meringue onto a parchment lined baking sheet. If making the topping, make sure the top of each meringue is flat and does not come to a tip.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven and do not open door; leave meringues in oven for another hour.
For the optional topping:
- In a small bowl, beat milk and True Lime juice until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Fold in whipped topping and food coloring. Spoon a dollop of the filling onto each meringue. Cut 18 cherries in half and two into thin slivers; garnish each dessert with a shamrock shape.