Spice up this classic comfort food with plenty of flavor, and zesty True Lime. Recipe submitted by Jennifer Smith.
1 whole chicken, cooked and chopped into chunks, leftover broth reserved
6 cups chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes, Mexican style
1 can whole corn, drained (or 2 cups, fresh)
1 can diced green chiles
1 can black beans, drained
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon oil
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
4 packets True Lime (more to taste)
Cumin, salt, and pepper to taste
1 bunch of fresh cilantro
Sliced avocado, as topping
- Roast chicken in the oven or cook in crockpot (see notes below), and once cooled peel off meat and cut into chunks. Save any remaining stock from cooking, and set aside.
- Cut jalapeno peppers in half and remove seeds. Dice peppers and onion.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add onions and jalapeno. Cook until soft.
- Heat 6 cups of chicken stock in a large pot.
- Add pepper and onion mixture, corn, tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, and 4 packets True Lime.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Stir well, and serve with fresh cilantro and sliced avocado.
A great way to cook a whole chicken for this recipe is to place the chicken (seasoned with True Lime Cilantro & Garlic) into a crockpot or slow cooker. Cook on low for about 6-hours, then remove the chicken to let cool. Save the liquid to use for cooking!
When chopping jalapenos, you may want to wear gloves. The oils from the peppers can remain on hands (and under fingernails) even after washing.