Warm, tart, sweet and tangy all at once! Strawberries and rhubarb get dressed up with ginger and True Orange in this springtime favorite.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons butter, cold, cut into pieces
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cold
2 tablespoons True Orange Ginger Spice Blend
1 large egg, beaten (for glazing)
4 cups rhubarb (about 5 stalks), halved lengthwise and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1 pint strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 packets True Orange
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plus whatever additional needed)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
8 tablespoons butter, cold, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons candied ginger, minced
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
Vanilla ice cream (for serving)
- Crust: in large bowl, whisk together flour with salt, sugar, and True Orange Ginger Spice Blend. Add butter and shortening, and break large chunks apart with fingers until mixture looks like coarse meal. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of ice water over dough and mix with hands until it comes together. If too dry add more water. Cover in plastic, wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Filling: mix rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour, and True Orange.
- Streusel topping: mix flour with brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger. Add butter and mix with fingertips until it is broken into tiny pebbles. Mix in candied ginger, pecans.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees with rack in the middle. Cover rimmed baking sheet pan with foil. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough into disk about a quarter inch thick, and a few inches larger than the pie pan. Fold in half and gently place across center of 9-inch pie plate. Unfold, crimp edges.
- Mound filling in the center and spread streusel evenly on top. Brush exposed crust with beaten eggs and place on prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes, then lower heat to 375 and bake 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. If crust begins to get too brown, wrap foil around the edge.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm, or room temperature, with vanilla ice cream.