Dress up that vanilla ice cream with this sinfully sweet topping!
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 pound fresh cherries, pitted (or frozen pitted cherries, thawed)
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon bourbon or brandy
2 or 3 packets of True Lemon
Vanilla ice cream
- Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add cherries and salt to the pan; stir to coat. Cook cherries, stirring occasionally, until juices are released and begin to reduce slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in bourbon. Return pan to heat and simmer until juices thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with True Lemon, then let cool slightly.
- Serve warm, over ice cream.
If using frozen cherries, do not drain them after thawing. The juice will only add to this tasty treat!
Adapted from Bon Appetit.