Marinated with True Lime & True Orange, these savory Carne Asada Tacos by chef and registered dietitian, Diane Henderiks, are sure brighten up your Taco Tuesday!
- 1 (2-pound) flank steak
- 1 dried ancho chile pepper, seeded and stemmed
- 2 packets of True Lime
- 2 packets of True Orange
- 1 whole chipotle pepper, canned with adobo
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Soft corn tortillas
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Place dried ancho chili in boiling water, turn off heat and let sit for 1 minute. Drain and place chili in a blender.
- Add remaining ingredients (True Lime, True Orange, chipotle pepper, soy sauce, beef broth, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, cumin, and brown sugar) to the blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt. Reserve 1/4 cup of marinade in the fridge until ready to cook the beef.
- Place steak in a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Pour remaining marinade into bag, squeeze the air out and seal. Refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove the beef and extra marinade from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Preheat grill for 5 minutes.
- Remove steak from marinade, shake off excess and place on the grill. Cover and cook, turning occasionally until steak is well charred on outside and center is cooked as desired. (Roughly 5 to 10 minutes for medium rare)
- Heat up the reserved marinade.
- Transfer beef to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain and serve immediately with a drizzle of reserved marinade on top.
- Serve with soft corn tortillas, True Lime, and your favorite toppings (ie. diced peppers, onion, chopped cilantro, cotija cheese, guacamole, etc.).