This no-cook classic from Latin America is easy to prepare, and a wonderfully light appetizer during the summer. Recipe submitted by Christopher S. Penn.
5 packets of True Lemon
5 packets of True Lime
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Black pepper to taste
1 tbsp cilantro, fresh or dried
1 plastic bag
1 piece of fish, fresh or frozen, preferably a mild white fish like tilapia, haddock, or sea bass – OR – 1 bag of frozen cooked shrimp, thawed according to package directions
5/8 cup of water
Chopped onion, tomatoes, pineapple, avocado, red or green pepper, and/or fresh chopped garlic (if desired)
- Take fresh or thawed fish and cut it up into little tiny pieces. If using shrimp, leave whole. Put the fish or shrimp and 5/8 cup water in the plastic bag. (If you’re not sure how much 5/8 cup of water is, it’s about a third of a coffee mug’s worth. You don’t have to be perfectly precise with this.)
- Throw all other ingredients in the plastic bag and toss around to combine.
- Let this sit for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.
- The dish is done when the fish has turned white as if cooked.
- Put it in the serving dish of your choice and enjoy!
This is a fantastic take along recipe for picnics or BBQ’s! Just put everything in the bag and place in the cooler. Ceviche is easy to prepare, requires no heat, and is really tasty.