A comforting combination of chicken and citrus to make you feeling better in no time!
6 cups chicken broth
3-4 chicken thighs or drumsticks, bone-in
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1/3 cup diced carrots
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons flour (or corn starch, if making gluten-free)
5 packets True Lemon
Salt and pepper
Fresh chopped parsley (optional), as garnish
- In large pot, combine chicken broth, chicken, rice, True Lemon, carrots, celery, and onions.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender.
- Carefully remove the bones from the chicken by pulling the meat off with a fork. It will be hot! Discard the bones, and return meat to the pot. Chicken will continue to cook while you prepare the rest of the soup, so it can still be a little pink at this point.
- In small saucepan, melt margarine.
- Stir in flour, cool 1 minute until smooth and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup of the broth mixture; cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- In small bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Gradually beat in thickened broth mixture.
- Slowly add egg and broth mixture into the pot with the rest of the soup. Heat gently while stirring constantly until soup begins to thicken. Do not let soup come to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
This is also a great recipe to make in a crock-pot! Just add all ingredients except rice, and cook on low for 3-4 hours. In the last 20-minutes, add rice and the egg-and-flour mixture.