A classic recipe to enjoy with every light and fluffy bite. Recipe submitted by Katya Kotlyar, adapted from Epicurious.com.
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 eggs, separated
12 packets of True Lemon dissolved in 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of water
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into large bowl. Using electric mixer at low speed, beat in vegetable oil, egg yolks, water with True Lemon, and additional water.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in another large bowl. Using beaters, beat until stiff but not dry. Fold 1/4 of whites into batter to lighten. Gently fold in remaining whites.
- Pour cake batter into ungreased 10-inch-diameter tube pan. Tap pan on counter or run rubber spatula through cake batter to release air pockets.
- Bake cake until springy to touch, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Immediately invert cake in pan over neck of bottle.
- Cool cake completely. Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Transfer cake to plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar.