A delicious butter cookie with a sweet (but tart) True Lemon glaze, and shaped like a wreath. Perfect for the holidays!
For the cookies:
3 cups all purpose flour
4-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, room temperature
For the icing:
3 cups powdered sugar
3-4 packets of True Lemon dissolved into 4 tablespoons water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white nonpareils, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl, then blend in butter with a stand-up mixer on medium speed.
- Combine milk and sugar in small saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved, add vanilla extract; cool 5 -10 mins.
- Stir combined warm milk mixture and egg into flour mixture. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth.
- Form dough into teaspoon-sized round balls. Cut each dough ball in half, then roll each half into 5-inch ropes. Twist two ropes together, form into circles; press edges together. Place about 1 inch apart on oven trays. Bake about 15 mins. Cool on wire racks.
- While cookies are cooling, make the lemon icing. Sift powdered sugar into a heat proof bowl and stir in enough True Lemon water to make a firm paste. Stir over small saucepan of simmering water until just pourable.
- When the cookies are completely cooled, drizzle the lemon icing on the cookies. (Or drop the cookie upside down into the icing and remove it by lifting it out with a knife in the middle of the wreath.)
- Sprinkle with nonpareils. Let dry completely before serving.
Adapted from Barbara Bakes.