A True Lemon twist on the classic lemon meringue pie. You’ll save a whole lot of time by not having to cut and squeeze all that citrus fruit!
Use a pre-baked pie shell to save time! A gluten-free crust can be used as well.
For the Filling:
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
8 packets of True Lemon, dissolved in 1/4 cup of water
3 egg yolks
For the Meringue:
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/3 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
Before you begin, take eggs out of the refrigerator and allow to remain at room temperature for a few minutes first. They will separate more easily this way.
For the pie:
- Add the True Lemon and water mixture to a pot over very low heat with the sugar, cornstarch, water, and yolks.
- Bring heat up gradually, as to not scramble the egg yolks. Warm until mixture becomes thick, while stirring frequently with a whisk.
- Pour into your pre-baked pie shell and set aside to let cool.
For the meringue:
- Add salt to the egg whites and beat with an electric mixer until it starts to get fluffy.
- Gradually add the sugar. Continue beating until the sugar is all added, then finish by adding the vanilla.
- Pour the meringue over the lemon pie, and bake at 400 degrees for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Recipe submitted by Mary Balandiat. For more delicious recipes by Mary, visit her blog: Nuts 4 Stuff.