A delicious update of traditional bread pudding, great for Thanksgiving or any holiday celebration!
1 pound brioche, challah or similar egg-based sweet bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
3/4 cup dried cranberries
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup pure pumpkin puree
2 cups milk
4 tbs butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
3 packets True Lemon
2 tsp cinnamon, plus extra for sprinkling
1 pint mascarpone cheese, lightly whipped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the cubed bread on a large baking sheet and toast for about 10-12 minutes, turning twice until lightly and evenly toasted.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, sugar and 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the rum, True Lemon, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the bread and cranberries and let stand for 8-10 minutes to allow the moisture to be absorbed.
- Grease an 8×11-inch baking dish with remaining shortening, and pour in the pudding mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes until the top is golden brown and slightly crispy. Let the bread pudding cool slightly and serve with whipped mascarpone and a sprinkle of cinnamon.