This is a compilation of a few different ideas, based on a classic shrimp scampi recipe. Choose the freshest and largest shrimp you can find!
2 lbs large fresh shrimp
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 stick butter
4 packets of True Lemon dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup minced green onion
1 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper
Three to four threads of saffron (optional)
1/4 cup of freshly chopped parsley
1 tablespoon capers with liquid
- Combine 1 tablespoon hot water and crushed saffron threads. Let stand for 1/2 hour to 1 hour then add True Lemon water and olive oil.
- Peel and de-vein shrimp keeping the tail on; rinse and pat dry.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saute pan. Saute garlic and onion until onion is wilted, then add cayenne pepper.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a sauce pan over low heat, add sauteed garlic/onion, lemon, olive oil, saffron, parsley, salt & pepper.
- Place shrimp in a shallow bowl. Pour mixture over shrimp, toss to completely coat the shrimp.
- Place shrimp on broiler rack. Returning liquid to the sauce pan over low heat, broil shrimp about three minutes per side (depending on size). After turning shrimp, add capers to sauce pan.
- Serve extra sauce in small dishes on the side.
Serve the shrimp over a bed of pasta with lightly cooked broccoli. This would also be delicious with asparagus or zucchini.
Submitted by Randy from Oxnard, CA.