A light and spongy cake that’s as lovely to look at as it is delicious. Recipe submitted by Jessie Grearson.
1 (18.25 oz box) white cake mix
4 packets True lemon
1 (12 oz) jar seedless strawberry jam, or the same amount of fresh thinly-sliced strawberries
1 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
2 tablespoons agave nectar
Fresh strawberries for garnish
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease (3 or 4) 8-inch cake pans. Use 3 for thicker cake portions, 4 for thinner cake portions.
- Prepare white cake mix as directed, whisking 2 packets of True Lemon into dry mixture before adding liquids.
- Divide batter among 3 or 4 cake pans and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until cake tests done in middle. When done, remove from pans and let cool.
- While cake bakes, beat together softened mascarpone with whipping cream and fluff until soft peaks form. Fold in strawberry jam, or fresh berries (depending on what you’re using).
- In another small bowl, place remaining two packets of True Lemon and add 2 tablespoons of agave nectar to mix.
- Place 1 cake on a serving platter; brush with True Lemon agave mixture. Top with 1/4 strawberry cream. Top with 2nd cake; brush with lemon-agave mixture, and spread with 1/4 of strawberry cream mixture. Repeat with remaining two layers, reserving any remaining cream to serve in dollops with cake.
- Chill and serve (flavors develop with time). Garnish with powdered sugar and fresh berries.