Let no bread go to waste! Make fresh croutons with a zesty hint of citrus flavor, using anything from hamburger rolls to hot dog buns and True Lime. Recipe created by Cooking with Caitlin.
1 large loaf of artisan bread (or leftover hot dog buns, hamburger buns, etc.)
2 sticks (1 cup) of butter
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1 tablespoon True Lime
Salt and pepper
- Set the oven to broil.
- Slice bread into small cubes, no bigger than 1 inch square.
- Warm butter in a large pan over medium-high heat (one with high sides works best). Add parsley and True Lime to the pan.
- Stir for a few minutes until parsley and True Lime is fragrant. Add bread cubes to the pan, and toss well to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add croutons to a cookie sheet, and place on a high oven rack (be sure it’s not too close to the broiler). Let cook for 2-3 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven, and carefully toss. Return to oven and cook for another 2-3 minutes until toasted.
- Remove croutons and gently place in a bowl to let them cool. Store in an air-tight container on the counter until ready to serve!
Blend any unused croutons in a food processor to make homemade bread crumbs!