Spice up chicken with this deliciously easy recipe. Great cooked in a skillet, or on the grill! Recipe submitted by Pat F., Houston TX.
8 chicken tenders (about 2 ounces each) or 1 pound chicken drumsticks or thighs
2 tablespoons dry jerk seasoning (or see spice blend below)
2-3 packets True Lime, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
1/4 cup honey
2 scallions, finely sliced
Nonstick cooking spray
Fresh chopped cilantro or parsley, as garnish
Jerk Chicken Spice Mix
(If you cannot find Jerk seasoning, this mixture can be substituted)
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder
4 teaspoons crushed dry thyme leaves
2 teaspoons salt (may omit, or use less)
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar (or sugar substitute)
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Jerk Chicken Spice Mix Directions
- Whirl in blender or spice grinder until onion pieces are quite small.
- Store extra in an airtight sealed container.
- Generously coat both sides of chicken pieces with the dry jerk rub.
- Cover and refrigerate while preparing a salad, rice, or other side dish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat a large cast iron or other heavy skillet, then spray with nonstick spray until well covered.
- Add the seasoned chicken and brown on both sides. Do not overcook.
- Mix the honey and True Lime water mixture until blended.
- As soon as the chicken is brown and just cooked through, evenly pour the True Lime-honey mixture over the chicken parts while still in the pan.
- Mix in half the scallions, heat thoroughly.
- Serve with the pan juices as a sauce and top with the other half of the sliced scallions. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.