The classic sugar cookie gets upgraded with dark chocolate and a delicious True Orange twist.
8 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup sugar, divided
4 packets True Orange dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
2- 3 additional packets True Orange (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat or in the microwave. Stir until smooth and completely melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl use an electric mixer on medium speed to beat butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of the sugar until well blended. Add eggs, True Orange packets, and True Orange water. Mix until well combined. Add melted chocolate and mix well. Stir in flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. Scoop tablespoons of dough, roll them into balls, and roll the balls in the sugar. Place balls on prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart. Bake about 13 minutes. Cookies will spread, with a crackled surface. The edges should be firm, but the center slightly soft.
- Remove parchment paper with cookies on it to cool. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature, or freeze.
Makes 40 cookies. Recipe adapted from Hannaford.