You forget just how good homemade soup makes you feel until you have a big bowl of it in front of you. This soup is very flavorful, good for you, and easy to make.
1 pound carrots
1 medium onion
6 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons True Orange Ginger Spice Blend (feel free to add more for stronger flavor)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 1/2 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock, homemade or reduced-sodium
1 fresh bay leaf or 1 tbsp dried bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch cilantro or fresh parsley (optional)
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
- Peel and thinly slice the carrots. A food processor works great for this!
- Finely chop the onion.
- Peel and chop the garlic cloves.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic and 1 tablespoon True Orange Ginger and cook. Stir occasionally until onion is golden (about 6 to 8 minutes).
- Add chicken stock or vegetable broth, the remaining tablespoon of True Orange Ginger and bay leaf to cooking vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are really tender (about 20 minutes or so).
- In a food processor or blender, puree soup in batches until smooth, return to saucepan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Pour soup into soup bowls and dollop with sour cream or yogurt, or simply drizzle with olive oil. Add sprinkling of cilantro or parsley on top (optional) and serve.
Makes 4 servings.