Delicately delicious, this is a True Orange spin on a classic Italian favorite.
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 packets of True Orange
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups flour (or all-purpose gluten-free flour)
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Beat eggs slightly with a fork in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in the sugar, vanilla, True Orange, and melted butter.
- Finally, stir in the flour and salt. Preheat your pizzelle iron.
- Using two spoons, drop about 1 tablespoon of dough onto the center of each iron, close and press the handles down as tightly as possible so that the cookies are very thin. Then, after a few seconds of holding it down, release and let the cookie finish cooking to give them their brownness. It will take between 30-60 seconds total for the cookie to cook.
- To help remove the cookie from underneath the iron, just scrape underneath with a butter knife to loosen. Let the cookies cool on paper towels and store in tins.
For an extra yummy variation, fill them with ice cream, whipped cream, or chocolate mousse. While the cookies are still hot, roll them up to make tiny cones. To avoid them from becoming mushy, do not fill cones until they are ready to serve. These cookies store for up to 1 month in an air-tight container, but handle with care as they are very fragile!
Recipe created by Cooking With Caitlin.