A variety of yummy textures and hearty flavors, and easily adaptable to any vegetables that are in season! Adapted from the Backpacker Magazine recipe, August 2006.
1 box Rice-A-Roni Savory Whole Grains Chicken & Herb Classico (or any other quick-cooking brown rice with seasoning)
1 cucumber, shredded (or thinly sliced)
2 radishes, shredded (or thinly sliced)
1 shallot (or 3 green onions)
1 cup each of corn and peas (fresh or frozen)
1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
Handful of fresh chopped chives
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
2 packets True Lemon
- Toast pine nuts in a small pan over medium-high heat on the stove. Watch carefully, and toss often, as they will burn very easily! This ingredient is optional, or can be substituted with sunflower seeds or other nuts.
- Combine vinegar and oil and set aside.
- Cook rice, and let cool – then move to a large bowl.
- Prepare the vegetables and add to rice. Add pine nuts, vinegar mixture, and True Lemon. Shake gently to combine.
- Great served with tortillas, pita bread, or crackers!
This is also a fantastic recipe to make use of leftover rice! Make a big batch of brown rice at the beginning of the week, then use in this salad recipe, and as a side dish for dinner proteins.