Rich and fancy enough for a dinner party, but really easy to make. This can be made ahead of time and cooked the day of the event – it freezes well!
1 1/4 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup fresh, minced parsley
2 tablespoons onions minced
3 packets of True Lemon
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups of onions sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 clove of garlic minced
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Combine ground beef, parsley, minced onion, True Lemon, and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape each into a inch thick oval patties.
- Place 2 tablespoons flour in shallow dish and dredge each patty in flour. Reserve 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and saute 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add onions and sugar to pan; saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and tomato paste; saute 1 minute or until paste begins to brown.
- Sprinkle onions with reserved flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine, then add the salt and thyme.
- Return meat to pan and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve alongside steamed green beans and mashed potatoes, with extra onion soup ladled over the top. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.