This dessert balances flavors between sweet and salty, allowing the blueberries to really shine! Perfect with a cup of hot coffee, cold milk, or tea. Recipe adapted from Good Housekeeping.
2-1/3 cup all-purpose flour (use gluten-free flour, if desired)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup whole milk
2-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
2 packets of True Lemon dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, with mixer on medium-high speed, beat 1/2 cup butter until smooth. Add 1/2 cup sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium. Beat in egg until combined.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk until combined, starting and ending with flour mixture and scraping bowl as needed. Transfer to prepared pan.
- In bowl, toss blueberries with True Lemon juice. Sprinkle over batter.
- In another bowl, whisk cinnamon, nutmeg, and remaining 1/3 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of sugar. Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, and with pastry cutter, combine together. Form into large crumbs; sprinkle over blueberries.
- Bake 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out almost clean. Cool slightly in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store, refrigerated, up to 3 days.
Serving Size: 9.