A great make-ahead dessert, and perfect for holiday celebrations.
For the cake:
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 packets True Lemon dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground cloves
powdered sugar, for rolling
For the filling:
1 (8-oz package) Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
- Grease a jelly roll pan (or use a large sheet of parchment paper that comes over edges of pan). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl. Fold in the canned pumpkin and True Lemon juice. Add the the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, making sure to spread into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Quickly remove from the pan by turning upside down onto a large kitchen towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. (Or if you used parchment paper, pull parchment off pan and flip over onto towel coated with powdered sugar.)
- Immediately roll the cake with the towel right inside. Cool in the towel on the counter. While cooling, cream together filling ingredients.
- When the cake is completely cool, unroll and spread with filling. Re-roll (without the towel) and cut into slices. Top with a dollop of whipped cream or a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
If not serving right away, wrap up in tin foil and store in refrigerator. Perfect for making ahead of time!
Recipe adapted from Yummy Healthy Easy.