Creamy and satisfying, gratins are easy for a “throw-together” meal. The vegetable ingredients can be switched with whatever is seasonally available, making this a harvest time classic.
6 medium zucchini or other type of squash, sliced thin (about 5 cups packed)
6 tomatoes, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup fresh chopped parsley and/or basil
2 packets True Lemon
1 large egg
1 cup heavy cream
A pinch each of salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-inch baking dish or pie plate with olive oil.
- Arrange half of the zucchini in a flat layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Top with half the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with half the garlic and parsley/basil.
- Repeat layering the remaining vegetables and dry ingredients (garlic and parsley/basil) as above.
- Beat together the egg and cream, then add the True Lemon, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the vegetables.
- Bake until vegetables are tender, 50-60 minutes. Serve hot.