All the things you love about a margarita… in a cake! Great for sharing with friends in the summertime. Recipe submitted by Meredith Leonard.
For the cake:
1 3/4 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3 packets True Lime mixed in 1 tablespoon of water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup plain or lime-flavored yogurt
For the glaze:
1/2 cup superfine granulated sugar
4 packets True Lime mixed in 2 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon tequila (optional)
Whipped cream and additional True Lime, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a bundt cake pan.
- Combine sugar, butter, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and beat until blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping the bowl after each addition. Mix in the True Lime juice. Add the flour and yogurt alternately, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and True Lime juice in a saucepan and mix well. Cook until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Stir in the tequila, if using.
- Invert the cake and flip right-side up. Drizzle with the glaze and let stand until the glaze has cooled.
- After slicing, garnish with whipped cream and an extra sprinkle of True Lime.
If you don’t have superfine sugar on hand, simply place regular granulated white sugar in your blender and give it a few whirs until it becomes superfine.