Ready or not, the Matcha tea craze is here, ladies and gentleman! This powerful green powder has recently fallen into the hands of tea-lovers everywhere, and we can’t help but obsess over it. From cancer preventing capabilities to simply tasting delicious, let’s uncover what this powerful tea with Japanese roots can offer us.
First off, what is Matcha anyway? Matcha is a fine stone-ground powder of processed green tea leaves. Matcha actually translates to “powdered tea”. Essentially, the leaves inside of a green tea bag are stone-ground into a fine powder form. The nutrient-rich leaves are shade grown, and then steamed and stemmed before being ground up. This Japanese tradition has been around for many years, but the rest of the world seems to be just now jumping on the bandwagon.
These nutrient-rich leaves that Matcha is made of have some pretty powerful properties that can benefit both body and mind. Some benefits of Matcha include:
1. It is full of antioxidants. More specifically, it is full of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg). EGCg’s claim to fame is its anti-cancer properties. The amount of antioxidants in ten cups of regular green tea can be consumed in only one cup of Matcha tea.
2. It is a metabolism booster. Hello weight loss! Matcha tea has been shown to increase both resting and fat burning metabolic rates. If you are trying to get a kick-start with weight loss, Matcha tea seems to be a great place to start.
3. It is detoxifying. Matcha is very rich in chlorophyll, which is also found in spinach. This property, which also makes spinach green, has been found to be a body detoxifier.
4. It increases calmness, capacity for memory, and the ability to concentrate – oh my! The Matcha leaves contain the amino acid, L-Theanine, which has a relaxing effect on the body without any drowsiness.
5. It ramps up your energy. Matcha’s natural nutrients mixed with its natural caffeine make for a big energy boost. Switching out coffee for Matcha in the morning could help you get the energy you’ve been looking for in the early morning hours.
6. It can be used in many different ways (which is another reason why we love it so much). Try having warm Matcha tea with a packet of True Lemon, or adding Matcha powder to your favorite True Citrus smoothie!
The sky is the limit when you’re working with Matcha! And although there are many options of Matcha to purchase, for the best quality, we recommend looking for Matcha that is bright in color and made in Japan.
If you’re feeling adventurous, give Matcha powder a try. We have a feeling you wont regret it!
[Credit: “9 Amazing Healthy Benefits of Matcha Tea.” Healthy and Natural World.]
[Credit: “10 Amazing Benefits of Matcha Green Tea.” Natural Living Ideas.]
[Credit: Soloman, Dr. Sara. ” The 8 Wonders of Matcha Green Tea.” Body Building.]
[Credit: Sass, Cynthia. “7 Things You Should Know About Matcha.” Health.]
[Credit: “The Different Grades of Matcha Tea.” Matcha Source.]